Sunday, September 20, 2015

I Was a Pokémon Addict

It's true. Late last school year, I played my first Pokémon game, Alpha Sapphire. I became enchanted, and also got X. I've become the champion of both the Kalos region and Hoenn. It was great!

This morning, in service, my church observed the Lord's Supper. For those of you who don't know, it's where we take the bread and the cup to symbolize the last supper Christ had before He was betrayed, and the sacrifice He made for us. You are encouraged to self-reflect before taking it. If you aren't saved, you shouldn't take it. If you are saved, but have unconfessed sin, you should clear that up with God before you take it.

I was doing this self reflection, thinking if there were anything I needed to get off my chest. Pokémon came to mind, as it has many times when the subject of giving things up for God has come up. I've been working out whether or not it's ok for me to play it, and I've tried justifying it before, but, this morning, I gave up. I realized that, good or bad, it had become too addicting to me. I was obsessed with being the best, and finishing the game, that I put it before almost everything, and let it take up too much of my thoughts.

I prayed, and I just let pokémon go. Now, as I write this, I feel free, but I also feel sad. The games make your team feel like family. It's part of its pull, and it was hard to erase the save data and any evidence of my journeys. But, it's good that I'm letting it go. Please pray for strength for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment