Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Rainbow Connection

If you're a nerd like me, or you actually grew up in the original Muppet era, you've probably heard Kermit the Frog's song "Rainbow Connection". I first really discovered it when I saw the most recent Muppet movie, but I looked into it and learned all of the lyrics yesterday. It's basically a song saying "Hey, what's so mesmerizing and romantic about rainbows? What makes us always want to look up and stare to the sky at them and the stars?" Jim Henson may not have lived to find this, or understand this, but I think I have found the rainbow connection: God.

If you remember, in Genesis, God created the first rainbow. Why? To find that out, you would have to go back and hear all of Noah's story. You probably know it by heart: God was going to flood the entire earth to try and rid it of evil and He requested that Noah, who loved God and always followed Him, to build an ark (or, in layman's terms, a big boat) so that he, his family, and a male and female of each species of animal could survive the flood  and recreate Earth's population once the land was dry again.

Forty -years, days? Days, I'm pretty sure. Forty years is something else...- later, Noah sent out a dove, and it came back with an olive branch in its mouth, to symbolize that there was dry land. Once Noah and his family had gotten off the ark, they saw a cascade of colors in the sky: the first rainbow, God's promise never to flood the whole earth again.

I believe that's why we love rainbows: deep down in our hearts, we know that there's a promise behind them, more than just no more great floods: it is a promise that there is a God, a Creator, and life after death in Heaven. I'm not saying that we're all necessarily religious, but I think it is in our blood to believe it.  We all want to believe that. Everyone wants to believe that there's something better out there than what we have here on Earth: crime, death, and debt, etc.- and, believe me, there is. It's a beautiful kingdom, more beautiful than we can ever imagine: pearly gates where the angel Gabriel lets you in if you're in the Book of Life (you're automatically written down in there if you accept Christ as your savior into your heart), beyond that there are streets of gold, a mansion for each of us that God built by hand, waters as clear as crystal. Someday we will find it: that Rainbow Connection- the lovers, the dreamers, and me. I hope to see all of you there someday. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment