Friday, August 17, 2012

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated

As of recently, this has been one of my favorite shows and one of the few I watch on a consistent basis. I am a long-time fan of Scooby-Doo, having discovered re-runs of the original series. I have to say, it's much better than this debris of their modern series.

The plot of this series has the first ever story-arc in any Scooby-Doo shows. It revolves around "the curse of Crystal Cove", a planospheric (don't care if I misspelled that) disk, and "Nibiru". It is certainly the darkest plot of any Scooby Doo series. 

In the town of Crystal Cove, greed, evil, and mystery lurk behind every corner. The mystery gang have to solve mysteries and are seemingly the only good IN the town. Nobody appreciates them, though. One of the plot points is that "this has all happened before". Apparently, there is a long streak of mystery solving gangs in Crystal Cove's history, all with two boys, two girls, and an animal mascot. They all are undone by evil, starting with the animal mascot, because of the planospheric disk, which supposedly leads to Spanish conquistadors' treasure.

First, let me say, WHY?!?!!?!? WHY make Scooby Doo so dark? Sure, the world is dark and cynical sometimes these days. But why ruin an innocent, hilarious cartoon with the condition of society? Scooby Doo isn't evil! He's just a scardey ol' mutt who loves Scooby Snacks, and hanging out with his best pal, Shaggy. 

Another thing: One of the things I can't STAND is how in some of the Scooby Doo movies, the monsters, ghosts, and stuff end up being real. This is how it seems this series is going to end up. *sigh* Warner Brothers had so much potential with a Scooby Doo re-boot, and they blew their chance.

Imagine old fans tuning in to show their kids THIS. Can you imagine how this trash could influence them? Nobody DIED in the old series. Sorry, spoiler alert: Angel Dynamite/Cassidy Williams dies in the episode "The Midnight Zone".

This show, if turned around, could be GREAT! You could keep it modern, say give them cell phones and still have them be in high school, et cetera, but keep the old gags, like "Those meddling kids and their dog" (sometimes they don't do that anymore) "Would you do it for a Scooby Snack?" (they NEVER do that anymore, that I remember), and Velma losing her glasses, non-intentionally bumping into the ghost/monster, and take away the cynical-ness. Old fans would tune in, introduce the show to their kids without fear, and the kids could become life-long fans like their parents! 

Needless to say, as this show is now, I am no longer watching. Tonight, I shall cancel my recording of this from my DVR. If anyone who reads this is connected to Warner Brothers anyway, or knows someone who is, pass this on to someone who can change this! 

3 comments:

  1. Agree completely! Especially the depressingly dark format. Post-modernism, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one really like the new show. and yeah they killed someone (she hasn't been confirmed dead yet) but I believe to be a good writer you have to kill some people every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your point. They should not make Scooby Doo too dark. Also, they should have kept the same title song that was in the old version. "Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you?!" Oh, I loved that so much, it was catchy.

    ReplyDelete