Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Genesis 9:18-25

During my Bible reading today, I came across the passage referenced in the title of this post. For those of you who don't recognize the reference, here is the story:

After the great flood, Noah and his family leave the ark. Noah grows a vineyard, makes some wine, and gets himself drunk, and naked. His sons find out, and cover him. Then, Noah gets sober, and starts yelling at Ham, father of Canaan, whose name he curses, for "what his youngest son had done to him,"

My first reaction: definitely not a side of the story that is taught in Sunday School. Why was it that the sole man who God spared, and whose family He spared in the great flood, right after he gets back on dry land... does something completely opposite of what a supposed man of God would do.

Can someone explain this to me? And what did Ham do that made Noah curse his own grandson? All I see that Ham did, in this passage at least, was tell his older brothers that their father was drunk and naked. Is there some faux pas from Old Testament times that I am missing here?

Explanations in the comments section would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment