Monday, October 15, 2012

Beauty

Hi! Guess writing everyday wasn't as easy a prospect as I thought it would be. Lately, I have been busy with musical rehearsals, piano lessons, homework, church..everything has just piled up, and I haven't been able to write as much.

Today I am going to write on a topic that has been on my heart for a long time: beauty. If you look up the word in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, it would say beauty was defined as "the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit." So, beauty is directly correlated to our personal feelings/senses. It implies that how one looks might make one feel differently than another. It has nothing to do with a set line of rules we have to follow to be beautiful.


So beauty is in how one perceives things. Interesting. But why is a clear face more "beautiful" to some than, say, a broken-out face? Why is a woman who is slender more attractive than one who is overweight? Why


Going on the point that beauty is in how we perceive things, think about styles through the ages.  Ever notice how no one wears leg warmers these days, except for exercise, when they were a cute, popular accessory in the 70-80's? I think they are still cute. But they went out of style. People's perception of what is cute has changed drastically over the years. Who knows? maybe in the 2020's kids will look at...I don't know, TOMS, and call them silly-looking. But they're so cute now.


Beauty shouldn't be based on outward appearance: what we might think looks beautiful is so inconsistent. It's all relative on the day, and the person's own opinion, supposedly.


But what should we base beauty on? To find true beauty, we need to look at people through God's eyes. He can't see just the outward person. He looks in a person's heart. A person's character and Godliness is what we should rank beauty by, not superficial appearances. I challenge you all to think of one person in your life who you don't think particularly "beautiful". Tomorrow, find that person, and spend some time with them. Sit with them at lunch, chat over the weather- just something. You might be surprised at the kind people you never knew existed.


I should know- my two closest friends at school aren't exactly the thinnest girls in our class, but they are more fun to talk to and more supporting than a lot of people that I have ever met. THey are the kind of friends you hope never to lose. I plan to know them even through when we are neighbors in Heaven. 


Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that people who try to look their best aren't kind. All I am saying is that appearance shouldn't matter. If they are beautiful to the eye, and beautiful in their heart, then power to them, too.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment